Brazilian Dishes in English: How to Talk About Traditional Foods

Brazilian Dishes in English: 

How to Talk About Traditional Foods



by Grammar Drops 


Have you ever wanted to explain traditional Brazilian food to an English speaker but didn't know the right words?

Some of Brazil's most iconic dishes don't have direct translations, so learning their English equivalents can help you describe them naturally while introducing foreigners to Brazilian culture.


Can you match these dishes to their names?

Find the key below the last picture when you are done.






Check your answer here: 


Here are some traditional dishes and how you can talk about them in English:


PortugueseEnglish
RabadaOxtail stew
MocotóBeef trotters
DobradinhaTripe stew
Buchada de bodeStuffed goat stomach
Galinha ao molho pardoChicken in blood sauce
SarapatelPork offal stew
TorresmoPork cracklings
CaruruOkra and dried shrimp stew
PirãoFish broth porridge
TacacáTucupi and jambu soup
Coração de frangoChicken hearts
Língua ao molhoBeef tongue in sauce
Fígado aceboladoLiver with onions
Moela de frangoChicken gizzards

Useful example sentences:

Instead of simply memorizing vocabulary, try using these expressions in real sentences:

  • I have eaten beef trotters since I was a child.

  • My mother makes the best tripe stew I've ever had.

  • I love pork cracklings with a cold drink.

  • Chicken hearts are one of my favorite barbecue foods.

  • I don't really like beef tongue in sauce.

  • I've never tried stuffed goat stomach.

Using complete sentences helps you remember vocabulary much more effectively.

A cultural tip

If you're visiting Brazil, remember that Brazilians almost always use the Portuguese names of these dishes.

For example, don't ask:

WRONG: Where can I eat beef trotters?

Instead, ask:

RIGHT: Where can I eat mocotó?

People will understand the Portuguese names much more easily.

Which ones do I like?

My favorites are:

  • Pork cracklings

  • Chicken hearts (especially at a Brazilian barbecue)

  • Liver with onions

  • Chicken gizzards

  • Beef trotters

  • Oxtail stew

  • Tripe stew

The only one I'm not particularly fond of is stuffed goat stomach, although I enjoy many other dishes from Northeastern Brazil.

Your turn!

Which of these Brazilian dishes have you tried?

And if you're not Brazilian…

Which one would you be brave enough to taste?


Grammar Drops
English can be easier than you think.

Comentários