Prefer, Would Prefer, and Would Rather: Talking about preferences

Prefer, Would Prefer, and Would Rather



Check the complete chart at end of this post.

Grammar Drops

by Sergio Viula


You can read and listen to this post at the same time. Just click here for the audio file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iF4oX3SM8ewebTfcu4X_HZexi85BD8M3/view?usp=sharing


1. Prefer for general preferences

Use prefer to describe what you generally like or choose more.

  • prefer + noun + to + noun

a) I prefer tea to coffee.

  • prefer + -ing + to + -ing

b) I prefer walking to driving.

  • prefer to + verb + rather than + base verb:

c) I prefer to walk rather than drive.


Remember: I prefer something to something else, not I prefer something than something else.


2. Would prefer for specific choices

Use would prefer for a particular situation, decision, or occasion.

  • would prefer + to + verb:  I'd prefer to stay home tonight.
  • would prefer + noun: Would you prefer tea or coffee?


Compare:

  • I prefer coffee. 
  • It means general preference.
  • I'd prefer tea today. 
  • It means a specific choice.


3. Would rather for specific preferences

Would rather has a similar meaning to would prefer, but its grammar is different:

  • would rather + base verb

  1. I'd rather stay home.
  2. She'd rather walk.
  3. We'd rather eat now.


Do not use to or ING after would rather:

I'd rather stay. 

NOT: I'd rather to stay or I'd rather staying.


4. Comparing alternatives

With would prefer:

  • would prefer + to + verb + rather than + base verb

I'd prefer to walk rather than take the bus.


With would rather:

  • would rather + base verb + than + base verb

I'd rather walk than take the bus.


5. Negative forms

  • prefer: I prefer not to drive. (not + infinitive)
  • would prefer: I'd prefer not to go. (not + infinitive)
  • would rather: I'd rather not go. (not + base form)


Quick memory rule

  • PREFER A to B: I prefer tea to coffee.

  • WOULD PREFER  to do something: I'd prefer to drink tea.
  • WOULD RATHER do something: I'd rather drink tea.

These patterns are enough to express most everyday preferences, choices, and alternatives.


Take a look at some real-life examples in this short video:




Do the quiz below 

and then check your answers with a Google doc in the link.


Quick practice

Try completing these sentences:

  1. I prefer tea ___ coffee.
  2. I'd prefer ___ stay home tonight.
  3. I'd rather ___ at home tonight.
  4. She prefers reading ___ watching TV.
  5. Would you prefer ___ sit inside or outside?
  6. Would you rather ___ now or later?
  7. I'd prefer not ___ drive tonight.
  8. I'd rather not ___ out tonight.

Answers: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fgKqALCuGHCNrHisKWs2Dhi5hGsCED3jQeapiDSPNso/edit?usp=sharing




Comentários